The kittens mum cannot be seen - here is what to do



If you bring kittens in and the mom is ”missing”, please wait for her long enough! 

Waiting just a few hours is never enough. Check the area for a few days to be absolutely sure. Borrow or buy a trail camera that can send live images, and leave some food out. She will almost always return if she is able to. Imagine her worrying about her kittens....imagine her despair....

Mum Malin was missing for over 20 hours

Early this summer, a litter was brought in. I rigged a camera instantly. The mum arrived over 20 hours later! I was so worried about her, but having food and a trail camera where the kittens were found made all the difference. And I got her. The family is reunited.


Mum Amira was missing for 12 hours

I worked hard to bring in the calico-family for over a week. I found her den but the dense, thorny bushes made it impossible to rescue the small ones by hand. The mom was spotted at 12:10 PM by camera. I caught three ones by trap late afternoon but mum was missing. The last kitten refused to enter the trap, and it was impossible to rescue him by hand. However, the den was in an extremely safe location, so I felt comfortable leaving the little one. The mom showed up just 15 minutes later after I had left at 00:15 am! A trail camera is honestly a fantastic tool to keep track of what is actually happening.

The mom is nowhere to be seen

The mom is nowhere to be seen is not a valid statment unless food has been put out and the den has been monitored either by a a human or a trail camera, for several days. If it's a feral mum - a human might scare her away. Borrow or buy a trail camera. So  please make sure to get the mum in as well. Why?
  • If the mom is left behind, she risks developing severe mastitis and die. Read this blog about such a cat. https://bettinaberor.blogspot.com/2025/11/do-not-separate-mother-cat-and-kittens.html
  • Separating a mother cat from her kittens before 12 weeks is bad for the kittens development. The kittens risc to get behaviour problems in a very much high degree than if they get fostered by their mom until 12 weeks, This study with over 5000 cats prove it:
    https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC5583233/
    Besides, it is against the law here in Sweden 
  • The mum unfortunately continue to produce more litters outdoors. 
  • Imagine the mums despair having lost her litter. That argument is actually enough for doing the search for her in a correct way.